So much for the trolling reviews and misguided attempt at a boycott. Captain Marvel has exploded into cinemas worldwide, and Aotearoa is no exception.
Not only did the 21st film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe pummel its competition, but it did so with one of Marvel’s biggest opening weekends in New Zealand—Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 are the only Marvel films to have taken more money in their first few days.
1. Captain Marvel $2,133,631 (Walt Disney)
2. Green Book $235,036 (eOne)
3. Alita: Battle Angel $104,471 (Fox)
4. A Dog’s Way Home $103,751 (Sony)
5. Escape Room $76,496 (Sony)
6. Badla $53,573 (Forum Films) What Men Want $83,507 (Paramount)
7. Total Dhamaal $47,086 (Forum Films) Stan & Ollie $80,783 (eOne)
8. How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World $42,474 (Universal)
9. Celia $39,336 (Caramel Canine)
10. Swimming with Men $36,568 (Icon)
Source: Numero. Estimated figures as at 1:38pm, 11/03/19