First kept from top spot in weekly Aotearoa box office figures by Aquaman and then Glass, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World was given a scare over the weekend by Dragon Ball Super: Broly, suggesting it was destined to always be the bridesmaid, never the bride(zilla?).
Then, by the narrowest of margins as January comes to an end, some $20,000 and change delivered the animated sequel top spot, among results that saw the top four films separated by only a meagre $33,744.
1. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World $389,350 (Universal)
2. Dragon Ball Super: Broly $369,032 (Madman)
3. Glass $356,345 (Walt Disney)
4. Green Book $355,606 (eOne)
5. Aquaman $337,723 (Warner Bros.)
6. Mary Queen of Scots $239,645 (Universal)
7. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse $229,415 (Sony)
8. Mary Poppins Returns $225,360 (Walt Disney)
9. Ralph Breaks the Internet $200,831 (Walt Disney)
10. The Mule $199,360 (Warner Bros.)
Source: Numero. Estimated figures as at 1:43PM, 31/01/19