Despite dropping to just over one third of the opening week’s number of screens in week two of release, the film’s per-screen revenue in NZ went up (to $29,625 per screen, looked at enviously by next-best Blackia, in second place on per screen revenue at $4070). Scrolling down to the tenth-placed film in this week’s box office, you’ll see that Endgame made 3/4 as much money on one screen as 10th did in its whole release.
Yes, some other films are also out, counter-programming seeing older audience-oriented fare higher in the top 10 than we’d normally expect.
1. Avengers: Endgame $2,815,038 (Walt Disney)
2. Long Shot $186,326 (Studiocanal)
3. The Chaperone $115,481 (Studiocanal)
4. The Aftermath $112,837 (Fox)
5. Red Joan $95,741 (Transmission)
6. Peppa Pig: Festival of Fun $71,072 (Universal)
7. MET Opera: La Traviata $51,808 (Rialto)
8. The LEGO Movie 2 $48,993 (Warner Bros.)
9. Shazam! $45,315 (Warner Bros.)
10. The Chills: The Triumph & Tragedy of Martin Phillipps $38,658 (Madman)
Source: Numero. Estimated figures as at 2:09pm, 9/5/19