Mortal Engines, the blockbuster feature debut from Kiwi director Christian Rivers, runs all over the rest of the competition to slot comfortably at the number one position over the weekend. Despite wearing the crown though, its total gross of $531k isn’t exactly a tremendous victory for such a high-profile film (Johnny English 3 made more in its opening weekend).
This week’s pretty vacant for new releases, so it may earn a decent heap next weekend too.
1. Mortal Engines $531,167 (Universal)
2. The Grinch $280,573 (Universal)
3. Bohemian Rhapsody $253,311 (Fox)
4. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald $158,929 (Roadshow)
5. Creed II $111,327 (Warner Bros.)
6. Second Act $86,982 (Roadshow)
7. A Star is Born $80,678 (Warner Bros.)
8. Robin Hood $67,013 (StudioCanal)
9. The Children Act $58,483 (Roadshow)
10. Kedarnath $43,227 (Forum)
Source: Numero. Estimated figures as at 1:32PM, 10/12/18